Bridlington Town Council

Bridlington Town Council, 2a Marshall Avenue, Bridlington, East Yorkshire, YO15 2DS

Complaints Procedure

  1. This Policy sets out procedures for dealing with any complaints that anyone may have about the Bridlington Town Council’s administration and procedures. Councillors are covered by Code of Conduct adopted by the Council. Complaints against policy decisions made by the Council shall be referred back to the Council [but note paragraph 31 of the Council’s Standing Orders which says that issues shall not be re-opened for six months].
  2. If a complaint about procedures or administration as practiced by the Council’s employees is notified orally to a Councillor or the Clerk to the Council, they should seek to satisfy the complaint fully. If that fails, the complainant should be asked to put the complaint in writing to the Clerk to the Council and be assured that it will be dealt with promptly after receipt.
  3. If the complainant prefers not to put the complaint to the Clerk to the Council, he or she should be advised to put it to the Chairman of Council/Mayor.
  4. (a) On receipt of a written complaint the Mayor or the Clerk to the Council (except where the complaint is about his or her own actions) shall try to settle the complaint directly with the complainant. This shall not be done without first notifying the person complained against and giving him or her an opportunity to comment. Efforts should be made to settle the complaint at this stage.

    (b) Where the Clerk to the Council or the Mayor receives a written complaint about the Clerk to the Council’s own actions, he or she shall refer the complaint to the Mayor. The Clerk to the Council shall be notified and given an opportunity to comment.
  5. The Clerk to the Council or Mayor shall report to the next meeting of the Council any written complaint disposed of by direct action with the complainant.
  6. The Clerk to the Council or Mayor shall bring any written complaint that has not been settled, to the next meeting of the Council. The Clerk to the Council shall notify the complainant of the date on which the complaint will be considered and the complainant shall be offered an opportunity to explain the complaint orally.
  7. The Council shall consider whether the circumstances attending any complaint warrant the matter being discussed in the absence of the press and public but any decision on a complaint shall be announced at the Council meeting in public.
  8. As soon as may be after the decision has been made, it and the nature of any action to be taken shall be communicated in writing to the complainant.
  9. A Council shall defer dealing with any written complaint only of it is of the opinion that issues of law or practice arise on which advice is necessary. The complaint shall be dealt with at the next meeting after the advice has been received.

Complaints against a Councillor or Member of a Committee

Complaints about a Councillor or Member will need to go via the principal authority, the East Riding of Yorkshire Council.  If a complaint from a member of staff cannot be resolved informally the matter must also be referred under the Code of Conduct to the Monitoring Officer at the principal authority.  These matters cannot now be addressed internally.

You can do this Online form via the ERYC Website:

Information about the Standards Committee at the principal authority:

The complaint form at the principal authority -

Alternatively you can send your complaint by email: or write to:

The Monitoring Officer
Head of Legal and Democratic Services
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
County Hall
Cross Street
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 9BA